Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Why do kids not appreciate what they have????

I am sure this is not just my kids (at least I hope it is not!!), but why do kids just take for granted what they have in their lives?  There is this thing on FB going around it says:
When I was a kid, I didn't have a computer, cell phone, Nintendo DS, XBox, or Wii . I had Barbies or Hot Wheels, a bike, playing outdoors, and chores. If I didn't eat what my mom made, I didn't eat and I dealt with it. I didn't think of telling my parents "no" or dare to talk back or I got in BIG TROUBLE if I did. Life wasn't hard, it was life and I survived.... 
I just  find this statement so true!  My kids just expect everything that they have and expect to really not do much for what they have.  I find the only time that my kids really do anything is when I yell and complain about it.  Even the few chores they have they don't do on their own!  I'm just so fed up with it that I really don't even know what to do anymore.  I told all of them if they don't keep their rooms clean I was going to put all their stuff that was left out in garbage bags...including clothes!!!  My daughter has so many clothes that it is insane...so I told her that if she couldn't keep them cleaned up that I would leave her with 7 complete outfits at my choosing!  And of course they wouldn' t be her choice!!!  And I really have to stick to that because I feel she will never change.  Its really hard for me to be like that because I know when I was their age I wasn't the best of room cleaner at all!!!    But there has to be a break in the cycle right...why not start here??? LOL!!!!  I came home from work yesterday and there were 9 cups on the table (I only have 4 kids)...I was so mad!!!  So, I actually took all the cups out of the cupboard except for 4 and they now have assigned cups!!!  I don't know what else to do!!!  
Well I hope I can follow through on everything that I have told the kids over the past few days!!  That is a weakness that I have...not following through!!!

2 comments:

  1. you are not alone!!! my kids are the same way... and i used to be the same way... never wanted to clean anything... its a kid thing.. cleanliness is just not an important thing right now... doesnt mean they wont grow up to be clean... hell i hate when i just have a couple papers on my coffee table! i think the whole house is a mess!! Follow thru is very important tho to the kids.. so if you say it- you gotta do it!! cuz they will never take what you say seriously :-( What I do with my kids- i buy disposable cups. write their initial on it.. and make them use that for the day. (or a couple days sometimes if its not nasty dirty) and then trow it away. i hate washing dishes. :-) they know their cups... and use their cups. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do a chore chart in our house and my son gets a weekly allowance if he does all the chores for the week. Then he has to use that money if he wants a toy or a new gadget or whatever from the store. We realized even at the age of 4 that he was getting used to expecting things so we do not buy him non-necessities anymore if we go to Walmart or whatever. He has to save his money to get that "must have" toy (considering he already has tons he could play with). It has led to some good lessons with him about money and saving and such so he can decide what he really wants. And it helps with the chores around the house.

    And congrats on winning the giveaway today :)

    ReplyDelete